Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 12 - Painting Challenge


I finished the painting I started yesterday and named it, "Purple Polka Dot Petals." This painting was done using a real lily (still life) and had to be done quickly because the flower was beginning to wilt. I've actually never painted a flower from life before (at least not with this much detail), and it was interesting! The perspective I chose was to look down into the flower. I did make what I think was a mistake though, I put down a layer of white pastel first, and that seemed to have an effect on all the layers I put down after. I was hoping it would just make the colors pop a little more, but it ended up doing more than that. It didn't change the outcome of the painting, but it made the process slightly more difficult. I won't be doing that again.

I'm not sure what's next. I've been really inspired lately by Billy Showell, a botany artist. I've been reading some of her books, and I think I may try some realism in watercolor. We'll see.. I have about a million ideas and choosing what to do next is a challenge! :)

Today's Quote: "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

0 comments: