Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reflections of Night

"Reflections of Night" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting

I was in the mood for a sunset this morning. Steve at Shooting My Universe has graciously allowed me to use his photographs as references for my paintings (thank you Steve!). I recently came across this one and knew I had to paint it.

I scanned this painting and for some reason my scanner always makes blues appear more green than they actually are. The blue is more of a real blue, and the streak of pink and orange in the middle is a little more subdued than it appears. But you get the point anyway. :)

It was done on pastelbord and completed with soft pastels. I used a few Mount Visions and Senneliers for this little painting. This is the first time that I've done a scene like this in a 5 by 7. Usually when I do water and skies I like to work big, but I felt like recreating this in a smaller size today.

Have a great afternoon! :)

4 comments:

D.D said...

Hi Angela, This painting is simply beautiful. My bleeding heart is also breath taking.

Gumnut said...

Hi, Angela. I stumbled across your work through Flickr and I have to say that this piece is stunning in its simplicity.

The colours resonate and including that single unreflected star gives it depth and life.

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Nutty
(newbie on the block)

Angela said...

Thank you D.D. and Nutty, for your lovely comments! I appreciate your feedback. :)

Toemailer said...

I really like this one, it has such a calming intensity!