Sunday, October 17, 2010

Tabby Cat

"Tabby Cat" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting

I started painting this little kitty yesterday and I couldn't wait to finish it this morning. I completed the painting with pastel pencils and the surface is Pastelbord. Even though finding frames that will hold the pastelbord, is difficult, I love the surface, so I think I'll continue to use it.

I was a little nervous to even attempt this painting, because I've never really painted an animal before, besides a little bird. I kept my expectations low, because I didn't want to be disappointed if it didn't turn out. But I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the way it came together, and I had a lot of fun doing it. I'm a big animal lover so I can now see myself painting more of them.

Well I'm off to the pumpkin patch! I hope you have a great Sunday! :)

9 comments:

Megan V said...

Angela - wow. This is seriously stunning detail!!! This is honestly the best painting of an animal I have ever seen. The eyes and the hair are just amazing. Great job :)

Angela said...

For never having painted an animal before, that is an incredible compliment! Thank you Megan! :)

A New England Life said...

That's excellent Angela! They say the eyes are the most difficult to capture but you nailed them! Excellent pet portrait.

D.D said...

Amazing!! I am curious about the time you have spent for this painting.

Angela said...

Thank you Sharon! :)

D.D., thank you! I was going to keep track of how many hours it took me to complete this painting, but I forgot. If I had to guess I would say that it took about 6-7 hours. This one took me 2 days when usually I can complete a painting in 1.

Karen said...

Beautiful Angela.....

Gumnut said...

Wow, wow, wow! First time? Damn you're good.

I love how you've managed to replicate the fur texture. How you get such a fine texture is beyond me.

And, of course I love the eyes. Beautiful.

Sorry for my delay in commenting, my family is under lurgy attack and life is interesting in the Chinese sense.

Thanks for sharing!

Nutty
(queen of the convoluted cliche)

Angela said...

Thank you Karen! :)

Nutty, as always, your comments are so kind! Thank you so much :)

Sandra Galda said...

excellent!