Saturday, February 5, 2011

Be Kind

I usually like to reserve my blog posts for positivity and I don’t usually complain but I feel a need to vent a little today. I have been overwhelmed lately by negative comments on my artwork. I’ve been receiving impolite comments on my painting style, which is realism, as well as people suggesting that I do not put any emotion into my art. I really feel a need to address these comments and to remind people of the old saying, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

Regarding my painting style, I am learning that you cannot choose your style, just like you cannot choose the style of your handwriting. You can force yourself to paint a certain way for a while, but eventually you will fall into something naturally. I never thought that I would be a realistic painter but the more that I paint the more that that’s what I’m leaning toward, and I’m learning to just except it and embrace it. People have suggested to me that realism is “taking the easy way out” and that it’s not an artistic expression at all, it’s simply copying. I say of course it’s an artistic expression. Something that I’ve noticed is that the people who make such comments paint very loosely and I’d like to see them try to paint realistically. It’s not easy and I enjoy the challenge to trying to paint something exactly the way I see it. How can you criticize someone for painting what they see? There are many artists whose work I don’t particularly like, but I still respect them and their passion for what they do.


Regarding my work showing no emotion, I think that has been among the most hurtful comments that I have gotten. I believe that all art is an emotional outpouring. A need to express ourselves and the way we view the world in a creative way. All art is emotional. You may not see how painting a still life of peppers, for example, is an emotional outpouring, but it is. Just because you may not have an emotional reaction to a piece or art doesn’t mean that it didn’t come from an emotional place for the artist. I paint what I love, what brings me joy and what I find unique.


Art is very personal. When you criticize someone’s work, you’re criticizing them. You don’t have to like my work, but really if you don’t have anything kind to say, please don’t say anything at all. Most of you have been so kind and supportive and I thank you very much for that.

6 comments:

A New England Life said...

My gosh Angela, that is extremely rude! I agree with you, if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything.

I'm very sorry that happened to you. I would suggest deleting the anonymous comment option. That's what I just did. And for the record, I think your work is wonderful, especially your pet portraits. It seems like you have a real strength in that area.

Paint on my dear! And do it your way!!!

Sharon

Trish @ A dream house for Trish said...

WOW! I cant believe someone would critisize your work, I would expect what you do is probably one of the most difficult styles of painting.
Good on you for standing up for yourself. Like my hubby says " Everyones entitled to their opinion, even if they are wrong"!!!

Susan Roux said...

Angela I think it's dreadful that you've been receiving hurtful comments. The blogging world is a place for artists to support each other. I love coming around and having an exhibit at my fingertips whenever I want. I'm sorry people have hurt you. You seem like such a nice gentle person to me.

As for representational work, I've felt the same sentiment for years. People, magazines and some big city art galleries see us as not creative. How frustrating! I too want to ask them to paint representationally. It is the most challenging of them all! Follow your passion. As your work develops further with time, they will stop making you feel bad... I'm finally embracing my desire to paint representationally. And then out of nowhere, crept in some impressionism. Go figure!

Angela said...

Thank you all so much for your kind, encouraging words. :)

Ms. Cheryl said...

Angela~
Ignore the haters. If it's not a constructive viewpoint just click delete. I'm a self taught artist and am always refering to others art for inspiration and tips on improving or trying a new technique. Realism is extremely difficult for me to execute. Everyone has there own adaptions and view of art so you just keep doing what makes you happy! Paint on!!!

Dino said...

I have sent a comment on the post "Magnolia Blossom".. she has not published him.

I have believed that she has not received it .. otherwise, I thank you anyway.

I after reading this post ..I feel compelled to tell him (perhaps non perfect translation), that my comment was "compliments" to his paintings.

I thank you.