Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A New England Lighthouse

"A New England Lighthouse" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting


I have to begin this post by thanking Sharon at A New England Life for allowing me to use her beautiful photograph as a reference for this painting. Thanks Sharon!


I decided to try a little something different today. I'd been admiring this photo for a long time but was too scared to even try it. For some reason I feel like I cannot paint foliage very well, but I haven't really tried. So, I decided to give it a shot today and I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I was disappointed with the scan of the painting because it seemed to take something away from it. I think it looks much better in person and I'm very happy with the way it turned out.


As always, this painting was completed with artist quality pastel pencils on pastelbord. The detail of the lighthouse was so much fun. I think I'm going to have to try more paintings like this.


Have a great afternoon!

4 comments:

Paula Ann Ford said...

Wonderful piece Angela!! Hope all is well!

A New England Life said...

Angela, what a wonderful rendition of the photo I took! You definitely have a talent for detail. Yes, you should certainly paint more photos like this : )

Sharon

Angela said...

Thanks ladies! :)

Sandra van Doorn said...

when i first took a look at your artworks i thought they were photos!! beautiful work..
x sandra