Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Future Plans

I thought I would take this opportunity to share my plans for my art. I’m almost ashamed to admit that I haven’t painted in over 6 months (which resulted in my turning my studio into a study). I’m on a little break from school right now and have been trying to decide where I want to go with my painting and quilting. For the last 6 – 9 months I have been cranking out one custom rag quilt after another and I’ve finally reached the point of being completely burnt out. Because I haven’t painted in such a long time and have been spending all of my time making rag quilts I realized that I haven’t actually been expressing my creativity. I want my quilts to be more like works of art, and one-of-a-kind items. I still intend to do some rag quilts, but I want to make more time for creating unique items. Of course the same would be true for my paintings.
As some of you may know I’m starting my master’s program in a couple months and I can’t imagine I will have much time for painting or quilting once I begin. However, I am determined to make time for either, or both. After all, I am an artist and need a creative outlet. But school will be my main priority.
I had briefly thought that I wanted to be a full time artist and quilter and had dreams of opening up my own studio/shop but for some reason I didn’t feel content with that idea. I absolutely love spending my time painting and quilting but I believe I have more to offer. I not only dreamed of being an artist when I was young but also of becoming a therapist; however that seemed like an impossible dream. Now it’s a dream coming true and I couldn’t be happier.
I plan to continue blogging, so I hope you’ll stick around. :)
 
 


2 comments:

Anita Meade said...

Angela, it is so nice to read this post. I'm glad you're taking a little break to rest and reflect- before diving into more study. I have missed seeing your beautiful artwork over the past 6 months, although your quilts are stunning too. I've been doing some work in coloured pencils lately, but they are just s-l-o-w! I'm not sure they're suited to my personality. I've long been fascinated with pastel, and visiting here and seeing some of your beautiful work has inspired me to give it a go. Thanks for sharing and I wish you all the best with balancing you art, study and life. xo

Angela said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment Anita! And thank you for your kind compliments! To tell you the truth I've greatly missed painting! It just hasn't been a priority, unfortunately. I am determined to paint before I start school again though! :) Do you have a blog? I'd like to see your artwork. Take care!