Wednesday, August 3, 2011

No Apologies

I made a decision recently to stop feeling guilty and to stop apologizing for my art. Perhaps you're wondering why I would feel guilty or need to apologize for it. Well, I have gotten grief over the years from people who think that I shouldn't sell different types of items in my Etsy shop (I sell original fine art, prints, quilts, hand painted boxes and other decorative painted items). I've also gotten grief for supposedly not finding my "voice" as an artist yet.


To tell you the truth I'm just tired of it all. I shouldn't have to feel guilty because I have many interests. And I sell some of everything on Etsy, which tells me that people enjoy my different crafts as well as my fine artwork. And regarding my "voice" as an artist, I don't know why I have to paint in one medium and in one particular style. That just doesn't match my personality. I like to experiment. Some subjects I like to do a little looser and others I like to do more realistic. I appreciate the opinion of other artists, but I think it's time that I just follow my own path. Art is subjective and there should not be any rules. Giving into the harsh opinions of others has put a damper in my creativity.


I'm choosing to pursue what I choose and that's that. :)

3 comments:

Anita Meade said...

Amen! Good for you sweetie. Any form of creative expression is valid, and you're right - to try to limit ourselves to one particular medium, style, or even market can be stifling. I know people may mean well with their advice, but this is your life and your creative journey. Express it in any way that makes you shine :) Keep up the beautiful work.

SUSAN RODEN said...

No need to apologize - that's why I play! Enjoy it all Angela.

Angela said...

You ladies are so sweet! Thanks for your support. :)