Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Interview With Artist Roby Baer

Continuing with my "Artist's I Admire" series, I recently interviewed artist Roberta (Roby) Baer. I have been an admirer of her work ever since I happened upon it on Etsy. The level of realism that she's able to achieve is incredible. Please read the interview below and take a look at a few of Roby's beautiful paintings.



"Glass Beach"


Can you share a little bit about your art background?


Other than taking a couple high school art classes, I am self-taught. My mother was a recreational painter and my grandmother was more of a professional painter.


Which mediums do you work in and why?


I work in pastels due to my grandmother's influence. While she would paint with oils, she would let us use her pastels and it carried throughout my entire life.


How often do you paint?


I paint from 5-7 days a week depending on what is going on.


"Eye Of The Storm"

What subjects do you most enjoy painting and why?


I most enjoy painting wildlife because of my parents' love of nature. We were always outside and I gravitate towards mammals.


How would you describe your painting style?


My painting style is photorealism.


Can you tell me a little about your painting process?


My painting process starts with Bristol Board 500. I begin with a graphite sketch... The sketch is very accurate and this keeps me on track when I start to add my pastels. I begin with stick pastels smudging that into the tooth of the board. After achieving the desired foundation, I start to lay in hairs or detail with CarbOthello pastel pencils. I choose not to use any fixatives as it darkens the overall appearance and the painting is no longer achivally sound.


"Wind Chaser"

Do you set art related goals for yourself?


I have deadlines for everything that I do. I challenge myself by entering juried and national juried shows.


What is your favorite part about being an artist?


My favorite part about being an artist is the interaction I have with fellow artists and other people. I very much enjoy hearing different interpretations of my work.


"Self Portrait"


How has blogging and the internet changed your life as an artist?


The internet is integral part of how I do my research (e.g., making sure my animals are factual and true to their habitat at any time of year). The blog is a place for me to share with people new paintings I have completed and has allowed me to connect with others.


Do you have any advice for artists just starting out?


My advice is to practice your drawing skills if your goal is realism. This is the most important foundation towards being a good artist. Do your homework... learn tones, values and good composition. These are the building blocks to achieving success.


You can see Roby's Etsy page here, and her blog here.


Thanks Roby!

2 comments:

Roby Baer said...

Thank you Angela, I appreciate you putting me on your beautiful blog. Continued success with your lovely paintings!!

Angela said...

Thank you Roby! :)