Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembrance

"Remembrance" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting


Today we remember the tragic events that took place on this day 10 years ago. My thoughts and prayers are with those lost and their families today. Whatever problems we think we have should feel so very small today.


I was a senior in high school, in advanced biology class, when the news broke. My teacher turned on the television and we spent the rest of the day just watching the news coverage. I've always felt deeply patriotic, but this really sparked something in me. Had 9-11 not happened, I'm not sure I would have joined the military shortly after graduating. I had a deep yearning to serve and I served a short time in the Air Force.


Thank you to those who continue to serve our country.


Thank you to Pat at Back Porch Musings for allowing me to use her photograph as a reference for this painting.

2 comments:

Katherine Thomas said...

This is a lovely post. I remember every minute of that day so clearly, too. I think we all will. I was teaching, and it was such a hard and frightening day to get through. Nobody knew what to do. We thought about starting the lockdown procedures, but didnt. And we had worried parents coming in all day long to pick up their children early. I don't think America will ever completely recover from it, but I'm proud of the way everybody has pulled together and shown such support for one another. Hope you're having a good day.

Angela said...

Hi Katherine, thank you for your lovely comment. I think you’re right; we all remember where we were that day and I think we always will. I’m also proud of our country and how we’ve lifted each other up. I think it says a lot about our spirits and the resilience of our country. Hope you have a nice weekend. :)