Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thomas Kinkade Reproduction in Pastel

Thomas Kinkade Reproduction, 9 by 12, Pastel

Been wondering what the "challenging painting" I've been working on was? Well, here it is. I attempted the unthinkable, recreating a Thomas Kinkade in pastel. Thomas Kinkade is one of my very favorite artists. I have his calendar hanging in my kitchen and I kept admiring this particular painting. Then I got the crazy idea to give it a try in pastel. Obviously I wasn't able to do it justice, but I think it turned out fairly decently.


My intentions were to see if a Thomas Kinkade type of style was achievable in pastel. I have to say I think it would be a lot easier in oil, but with some practice and developed techniques I think it just might be possible with pastel.


This piece was so much fun, I just love all that detail. I was disappointed when I went to photograph the painting because the colors appeared so dull. I tried to fix it in photoshop and it helped a bit. The colors are so much prettier in person.


I hope you are having a great week!

0 comments: