Thursday, September 23, 2010

Boat Reflection

"Boat Reflection" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting

I have to start by thanking Kathleen Young for allowing me to use her photograph as a reference for this painting. Thank you Kathleen! I can't tell you how long I've been wanting to paint this picture. Those reflections are so intriguing! I used to be so intimidated to even try to paint reflections, but I've been finding that I really enjoy painting them. I like the challenge.

I have to also say that I've been lacking confidence in my painting abilities lately and I think I've figured out why. I've been going weeks at a time without painting because of school and other obligations. By the time I get back into the studio, I feel like I've completely lost it. So, I've decided that I have to paint everyday or at least every other day to keep the creativity going. Even, if it's just for a few minutes. And honestly I feel the most like my authentic self when I'm painting. There's nothing I would rather be doing! :)

So anyway, I hope you're all keeping dry. We've gotten several inches of rain in the past couple of days and they're calling for more! Great weather for painting! :)

6 comments:

Gumnut said...

Another stunner! The bold splashes of colour and simplicity of design (though I know it wasn't simple to paint) are so very effective. Great composition.

Thanks for sharing.

Nutty
(up in the early hours thanks to bubs)

AK said...

Simply fabulous! The composition is so simple, yet the rendition makes it so appealing.

Anita Meade said...

You should have every confidence in your ability Angela. Your paintings are wonderful. But making sure you paint every day or two will be good for your soul. This painting is fantastic! Well done again. x

Sparrowhawk said...

beautiful painting of the reflection of the boat..i love the simplicity of your art work...very impressive blog!

D.D said...

The way you have captured the reflection of boat in water is simply brilliant.

Angela said...

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. Thank you also for taking the time to leave a comment. :)