Sunday, September 26, 2010

Marbles

"Marbles" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting
Well I finally decided to try a new painting surface. "Marbles" is done on UArt 800. I've had this paper for a while, but I've really been enjoying my pastelbord, so I didn't see much of a reason to try anything else. However, lately I've really been going for more a realistic look with my paintings (at least my still lives) and the pastelbord doesn't suit that style, at least not for me. UArt 800 is a very smooth paper. It was my first time using it, and when switching painting surfaces, there is a learning curve. It was easier to achieve a realistic look with this surface, but it still isn't quite what I'm looking for. Anytime I tried to blend the pastel, the texture of the paper came through. I do like the paper though, and I see myself using it occasionally.
I have some Wallis paper that I was going to try, but for realism, I don't think it will work. A friend of mine paints realistically in pastel and she uses Bristol board, which I never thought of using. But I purchased some, and it's a very smooth surface and you can't really see a texture on the paper. The only concern I have about it is that there really isn't much of a "tooth" to the paper, so I'm not sure how many layers of pastel that I could apply. But I'm excited to give that paper a try.
I used all pastel pencils for this painting (CarbOthellos mostly but some Faber-Castell's as well). I also got a new electric sharpener which I'm excited about. Ha-ha.. I know it sounds silly but to achieve any kind of realism, it's essential to get the sharpest point possible on your pencils.
I hope you all had a great weekend! :)

8 comments:

Juan Carlos Partidas said...

Beautiful art, Angela. :)

Gumnut said...

I'm stunned at how fast you manage to do your work.

Beautiful, of course. The tinted shadows certainly highlight the subject :D

Nutty
(over breakfast)

Elizabeth Seaver said...

These are glowing, Angela. Great job!

Karen said...

Beautifully done Angela...

D.D said...

Fabulous painting. The light on the marbles & the refraction of light captured very nicely.

Angela said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. :)

SUSAN RODEN said...

Very nice Angela!
Always fun to try other products, but I seem to return to old faithfuls.

Angela said...

Thank you Susan!