Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Purple Water Lily

"Purple Water Lily" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting

"Purple Water Lily" is the painting of the day. I completed the drawing for this painting yesterday evening so that I could get started right away this morning on it. This painting is inspired by a photograph by Altagracia Aristy on Flickr. Thank you Altagracia for allowing me to use your photograph!

This painting was done on Wallis, and completed with pastel pencils. All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. I'm still trying to get used to this new painting surface. I'm going to be painting some more flowers, in an effort to possibly start a new venture (more details to come soon).

Have a great afternoon!

Quote of the day: "Painting seems to be my obsession. I feel some resentment at all the other things in life that take me away from my studio. This obsession constantly judges all other calls on my time and energy." - Sue Cowan

4 comments:

Gumnut said...

Lovely purples in this, and the dark background along with the contrasting yellows in the centre really work well.

A few years back I attempted some white waterlillies in watercolour pencil ( http://www.gumnut.net/art/waterlillies.htm ). They turned out not as good as they could have been, but a few years later I did a similar thing with the Lotus ( http://ffacets.blogspot.com/2010/07/creative-colour-challenge.html ) and I was much happier with that result. There is something about those kinds of flowers that just ask to be painted.

If you ever want to revisit this flower, I think I have a pile of stockshots I photographed at our local botanic gardens.

You did some really effective blending here and I continue to adore your work.

Thanks for sharing.

Nutty
(eating strawberries)

Angela said...

Hi Nutty,

Thank you for your kind words! You're always so sweet! :) I think your water lily paintings are beautiful! This is the 2nd water lily painting I've done and I just love painting them (and I'm always willing to receive reference photos from others) :).

-Angela

Nancy Medina said...

Angela, this is wonderful, vivid and bright! I love the color! : )

Angela said...

Thank you so much Nancy! :)