Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Apple Tea

"Apple Tea" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting

I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had with this painting this morning. I've never painted a background like this before (with the sheet or fabric draped behind). I had a lot of fun with all the loose strokes. I began layering and blending, but as the background started coming together, I decided to leave a few strokes expressive (not blended out). I think this adds a lot to the piece, and I might have to start doing it more often! I've thought for a long time that if I want to paint realistically that I have to blend my pastels, but I don't think that's true.

I was originally drawn to the photograph for this painting by the blue and red combination. I think the colors are just beautiful together. This painting was completed on pastelbord and I used a lot of Mount Vision pastels for the background, and mostly pastel pencils for the tea pot and apple.

I hope you have a nice afternoon!

4 comments:

jyothisethu said...

beautiful painting...
light & shade and highlights are captured nicely...

D.D said...

Splendid!! Nicely captured the lights & shadows.

Maggie said...

Your art is amazing.
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Laura Trevey said...

That apple is amazing!

Thanks for sharing this on the January Challenge - be sure to link back to Watercolors by Laura Trevey if you can.
www.lauratrevey.blogspot.com