Monday, December 6, 2010

Morning Over a Mountain City

"Morning Over a Mountain City" 5 by 7, Pastel Painting
It felt so good to get into the studio and paint this morning! It's been over a week. I finally got all my table runners made for the holidays, and I am so relieved. I came across this picture in an artists reference book that I have and I just had to paint it. I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. And I just have to say that the original looks so much better in person. After scanning it, some of the softness is taken away.
I completed this painting with various brands of soft pastels, but I used mostly Mount Visions. The surface is pastelbord, of course (have a big shipment of that coming!). I was thinking this might be a small study for a larger version of this. We'll see.
I've been having this itch to paint landscapes lately, and I just don't know why. They don't feel as comfortable or quite as enjoyable to me as animals and still lives. I guess it's safe to say that I'm still testing the waters and not exactly sure which subjects I enjoy doing the most.
Hope you had a great weekend! :)

2 comments:

jyothisethu said...

angela,

it is interesting to read your words which also described the evolution of the picture...

...which at the first glance itself felt as very beautiful...

congrats...

Angela said...

Thank you. I always like to write a little about the painting, rather than just post it. I appreciate your kind words. :)