Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Creative Endeavor - Writing

Since I hurt my hand and have not been able to paint, I've been thinking about something that I've always been interested in, writing. I have always been a reader and I used to write stories all the time when I was a kid, just for fun. As I got older I began to write poetry. I tried to dig out some of my old poems and stories but only found a couple. I wanted to share them with you but the poem is about love and is kind of personal, and the story I wrote when I was in elementary school. It's called, "The Haunted House." It was terribly written but it brought back the love I had for story telling.

I actually have to thank the person who told me that my artwork has no emotion because their comment is what got me thinking. I was admiring an illustration done by an artist I really respect and I had an intense emotional response to it. I began thinking how I wished my work could have that kind of impact on others. When I go into the studio in the morning I think, "What will I paint today?" It's more about creating a pretty picture than anything, but I still consider it an emotional outpouring because I love it.

Anyway, I was thinking first about illustration and then I began thinking about writing. I think as creative beings we're always trying to find new ways to express ourselves. I picked up some reference material on illustrating children's books a few years ago because it was an interest of mine but never looked at it. I've let the fear of failure keep me from trying many things. I've decided that I have to at least try it because I will never forgive myself if I don't.

There are so many reasons why I am interested in writing and illustrating children's books. First, I don't think children read enough today with all the video games and other electronic means of entertainment. Secondly, I think children can learn a great deal of life lessons from books. I so enjoyed books as a child and I love the thought of creating something that a child can enjoy and learn from at the same time.

Initially I had decided not to share this idea with anyone, except for close family who I knew would be supportive, but then I thought that I had to share it with everyone else because I'm just so excited about it. I know I probably do enough considering I have quilting, photography, decorative painting and fine art, but I'm not going to hold back because I'm already involved in so many other things. I've let people make me feel bad for having so many interests and I realized that that isn't right. People can be great at many things, I've seen it, and that's what gives me encouragement.

I in no way intend on quitting painting, I just plan to work some writing and illustrating in there too. I will certainly share my work with you as I go along. I have so many ideas and I can hardly wait to get started!

I hope you have a great weekend, and happy early Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

Paula Ann Ford said...

You go girl!! Angela, you are so talented. You can do anything! Can't wait to read your 1st book
:-)
Paula

Angela said...

Thanks for the encouragement Paula!! :)