Saturday, June 26, 2010

Latest Project



A few days ago I posted that I had finished a project recently. Well, this is it! The pictures are not great, but you get the idea. A friend of mine who owns an art studio was having a moving sale, and I had my eye on this drafting table. When I went to see it, it wasn't in as good of shape as I had remembered, so I wasn't sure that I wanted it after all. The pad was peeling up all over and it was in desperate need of new paint. But then I got thinking that I could just put a new pad/cover on it, and give it a fresh coat of paint.
The asking price was $400, with the drafting machine and some other extras, and after doing some research I discovered that this was a great price. This table and drafting machine brand new would cost upwards of $2,000. So I bought it, and put about $125 into it (with paint, and the new pad), and after a week of work, it looks like new! I've never purchased anything that needed work before. I generally like to buy things in perfect condition, but this project was kind of fun! I think I might look at things with a new eye now. Just because something doesn't look perfect right away doesn't mean that it can't, with a little bit of work.
So anyway, I am so happy that I made the investment and put the time into restoring this table. It's a wonderful space to work on. I only wish it would fit in my studio!

0 comments: