Sunday, July 4, 2010

What I Learned From Creativity Boot Camp

I completed my final painting for Creativity Boot Camp yesterday and I wanted to share with you what I learned from this two-week challenge.

First, I learned that it's important to set goals for myself. Setting goals keeps me moving forward and pushing toward greater things.
Second, I learned that it's good to continually challenge myself creatively. If I just stick with subjects that are comfortable to me, I'll never really grow as an artist. I've always had a fear of failure and therefore I wouldn't try new things. If I found something that I was good at, I would just stick with it. Now I know that I have to "fail" to learn. I can't be good with every medium and every subject. Even if I produce something that I'm not pleased with, it was good practice and I learned something from it.
Third, I learned that I have to create for me, and no one else. This was a tough lesson for me to learn. When I used to paint before I always had that voice in my head saying, "Will so-and-so like this?" And the truth is that it doesn't really matter. My creativity is first and foremost, for me; it is my expression. If others like it, that's great - and if they don't, that's okay too.
Fourth, I discovered the importance of getting into the studio everyday. I have so enjoyed painting every single day the past several weeks. I always had an excuse as to why I couldn't paint before. I think I'd probably get into my studio once or twice a week.
And finally I think the most important lesson that I learned is that I need to be happy and content with where I am on this journey. It doesn't serve me to look at others work and compare myself to them. Everyone has different gifts, talents, and is at a different place with their creative works. I should only be worried about where I am at, and that I'm happy.
Thank you to Maegan, the creator of Creativity Boot Camp, for the incredible experience!



0 comments: